As we are still attempting to stay satisfied with our food experiences during this pandemic, we were remembering a wonderful ancient grain bowl with salmon that we had at True Food Kitchen. It was fabulous!
We explored recipes on the internet, looked through a few cook books at home, and took inventory of our ingredients as we had not been to the grocery store in about 3 weeks.
As a result, we came up with this flavorful and healthy dish!
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Harissa
- 1-2 Tbsp of water
- 2 – 4oz. pieces of salmon
- 1/2 cup uncooked or 1 cup cooked quinoa or any superfood grains
- green veggies (broccoli, snap peas, asparagus, cucumber—anything you have on hand)
- 8oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto
- lemon wedge
- sesame oil
- small handful greens
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spread potatoes in an even layer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- In a sauté pan, combine the remaining sweet potato ingredients— soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, sesame seeds, syrup, harissa and water. Bring to a simmer and let thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, season salmon with a bit of sesame oil and salt and pepper.
- Once potatoes have cooked for 15 minutes, add salmon and mushrooms to the sheet pan. Flip potatoes, and cook 12 minutes (or until your salmon is cooked how you like).
- In the meantime, cook your grains.
- Sauté veggies in a little bit of olive oil and squeeze some lemon juice on them.
- When sheet pan is done cooking, add sweet potatoes to the pan with the glaze, toss to coat.
- Then plate! Start with grains at the bottom, then add the other vegetables in sections, (mushrooms, sweet potatoes and green veggies) top with the salmon (I also found the skin could easily be removed from the salmon during transfer).
- Garnish it with avocado, and a spoonful of basil pesto!