I was so hungry for some Tuscan soup as we had to cancel our trip to Italy due to the current travel restrictions. I reviewed lots of recipes, evaluated what I had in the pantry, and created this amazing soup! It was so good. Before the first bowl was consumed my husband requested that I not freeze it all! He was already anticipating eating it again the next day! Now that’s a great dish!!
- 1 Pound Cannellini Beans (Or Combination of Beans),
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 4 Medium Garlic Cloves, Unpeeled
- 2 Bay Leafs
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Of Garlic, Minced
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, Finely Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Peeled And Finely Chopped
- 3-4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 12 cups water or stock of choice
- Salt & Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, And Cracked Black Pepper To Serve
- Finely Chopped Fresh Herbs (Parsley)
- 4 Ounces Pancetta Cooked and Crumbled (You Can Use Bacon if desired)
- Heat the oil in the stock pot, and add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the beans (drained), bay leafs, thyme sprigs, and 12 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for about an hour and a half, or until the beans are almost tender. (I choose to use 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 water with some bone broth with collagen for my optimal health)! Collagen Bone Broth
- Remove from the heat, remove the bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- Return the pureed beans to the pot, and mix bringing back up to desired level of heat.
- Serve the soup in bowls, with a drizzle of the extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkling of cracked black pepper on each.
- Sprinkle a little fresh herbs just before serving.
- Top with Pancetta/Bacan crumbles if desired.