I made this White Bean Chicken Chili after a beautiful hike on New Years Day 2020. I had been thinking about this dish for quite some time but it was absolutely perfect, hearty and flavorful on this day! Actually I doubled up this recipe so we would have lots of extra to freeze and eat on another day when I need a quick meal, but I am so looking forward to having another bowl today. It was that good! You can adjust the ingredients to your own preferences. Take out the chicken for vegan. Leaving out the spicey peppers makes this dish something the whole family will enjoy too!
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground coriander seed
2 (4.5 oz.) cans green chilies (optional or sprinkle in some crushed red peppers)
1 (18.75 ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped (or use fresh and cook with the onions)
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (can use all tomatoes in place of tomatillos as another option – use 2 cans)
3 boneless skinless cooked chicken breasts (I pull the meat apart with a fork)
32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
Kosher salt/Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 (15 oz.) cans white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 c. frozen corn
Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
These are optional and are not included in the nutrition facts and calorie count. But they add so much great flavor!!
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack
1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- While prepping, place chicken in a baking dish and cook at 350 for about 25 minutes until cooked through.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and jalapeño and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. (If using fresh tomatillo, add it in now too).
- Add garlic, oregano, coriander, and cumin and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add green chilies, chicken, and broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 to 12 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with two forks. Return to pot and add white beans and corn.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook, 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream at this time)
- Ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro, cheese, and chips before serving.
220 calories; 6.1 g total fat; 40 mg cholesterol; 786 mg sodium. 21.2 g carbohydrates; 20.1 g protein