A great salmon recipe that lets the fish shine by using a plum-basil relish. It is paired here with carmelized carrots with cayenne cream sauce (Click here for recipe).
For the plum-basil relish:
- 5 medium red plums, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salmon:
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon filets, skin removed
- Olive oil
- 3 to 4 teaspoons coriander salt (combine equal parts crushed coriander seeds and flaky sea salt)
Make the plum-basil relish:
- Combine the plums, basil, honey, lemon juice, and oil in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
Make the salmon:
- Prepare an outdoor charcoal grill for medium, direct heat. (Can also be baked in the oven at 350 deg.)
- Meanwhile, lightly brush the salmon on both sides with oil, then season on both sides with the coriander salt.
- When the grill is hot, grill the salmon with the grill cover on and the vents open. When the salmon has grill marks on the bottom, flip with a flat spatula and cook until done to your liking. During this time, keep an eye on the salmon to make sure it doesn’t burn, moving it to a cooler part of the grill if necessary. The time it will take to cook the fish will vary depending on the heat of the grill and the thickness of the fillets, about 10 minutes total grilling time.