This keto ground beef casserole recipe is a tasty one-dish low carb and gluten-free dinner. I found this basic recipe on-line and shifted it up to make it a bit more healthy and added a few seasoning elements to make it more flavorful. I think it tasted much better than I expected. I enjoyed having ground beef that was not presented in patty or meatball nor with its typical side kicks of pasta or rice, tomato sauce, or red/green sauces. No Campbell’s soup required either!!
PREP TIME15 min COOK TIME20 min BAKE TIME10 min TOTAL 45 min
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese and/or Mexican blend (your preference) shredded
- 2 tbls. Olive Oil and/or butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, minced, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. crushed fennel seed
- 3 tbsp parsley, minced
- Salt/Black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Broth of choice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- Heat oil and/or tbsp butter in a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli.
- Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup water or beef or vegetable broth and stir fry until the vegetables are cooked, for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables evenly to the casserole dish and set aside. (Retain any remaining juice broth to pour over vegetables prior to placing in the oven)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook the ground beef, fennel seed, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg and allspice.
- Sauté until the beef is browned and onion looks translucent, for about 10 minutes.
- Layer the beef mixture over the vegetables in the casserole dish. Pouring over any remaining juices and broth.
- Top with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with more parsley and serve warm.