This spinach chickpea stew turns a bag of frozen spinach and some chickpeas into a wholesome one-pot dinner to feed a crowd! There are variations of this spinach stew recipe with tomatoes throughout the Mediterranean and the Middle East. I opted for a vegan option, which is just as hearty and satisfying, thanks to the chickpeas and gnocchi! We enjoyed it with some sourdough fresh bread.
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- kosher salt
- 1 cup San Marzano tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. frozen spinach (chopped)
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Cups cooked gnocchi
- black pepper
- 1 lemon (juice of)
- In a large pot, heat ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and garlic and cook, tossing regularly, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, chickpeas, and chicken broth. Add the parsley and season with a good dash of kosher salt and black pepper. Stir in the spices.
- Bring to a boil of medium-high, then turn the heat down to low and cover partway, leaving part of the top open. Allow the spinach to simmer for 25 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Bring water to boil to prepare the gnocchi per package instructions.
- Plate the gnocchi in a deep bowl and pour soup over it to serve. Finish with lemon juice and a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Calories: 245.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.2g | Protein: 15.4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 0.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.7g | Sodium: 536.8mg | Potassium: 990.9mg | Fiber: 13.5g | Sugar: 7.9g | Vitamin A: 14923IU | Vitamin C: 53.4mg | Calcium: 250.5mg | Iron: 6.8mg