Easy Potato Rolls Recipe
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
MAKES: 45 servings
· 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeas (if using bulk yeast use 4.5 teaspoons)
· 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
· 2/3 cup sugar
· 2/3 cup shortening
· 2 eggs (room temperature)
· 1 to 1.5 cups mashed potatoes (room temp) Use a potato ricer to ensure no lumps
· 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 50/50 all purpose to bread flour)
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, potatoes, salt, yeast mixture, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Should be a bit sticky not like bread dough or they will turn out heavy.
2. Shape into a ball; do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into 15 balls and arrange in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 45 servings.
Potato Ricer 1st rise 2nd rise
Ready for Oven Perfection! Yummy!
1 roll: 106 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.